UMD Tutoring Resources:
The Writing Center
(ONLINE & 1205 Tawes Hall) provides opportunities for students to improve their writing, research, and critical thinking skills. The Writing Center also facilitates collaborations and workshops related to writing and teaching writing. *free
The Grammar Hotline
can answer questions on word choice, punctuation, sentence structure, or proper citation. *free
offers many tools to assist with writing research papers *free
- Intro to Research, Citation Tools, get one-on-one research assistance from helpful librarians, log into hundreds of subject-specific resources, borrow a laptop, and more.
Peer Institution Websites*
*Resources from UMD peer institutions offer valuable information. While most of the information can be used by any student regardless of where they are enrolled, note that some links may provide contact information/resources that are available only to that particular institution. Special thanks to our peer institutions
- Rutgers University:
- Study and Writing Skills*: Lists helpful 1-2 page worksheets/guidelines on critical thinking, grammar, reading/analyzing literature. Also, several key steps and tips for writing a paper.
- Developing Your Writing Skills*: Provides helpful resources for framing an argument, developing a thesis, writing a personal statement, organizing your paper, grammar, citation styles, etc.
- Resource videos discussing active versus passive verbs, how to write a body paragraph, and how to write a thesis statement*
**Note that UMD does not endorse these external links. They are listed here as resources for your consideration.
- PeerTutors.com** is an online tutoring platform for students to connect with volunteers, private peer tutors, and mentors at the University of Maryland. PeerTutors.com was founded by a group of University of Maryland alumni who wished to create a more collaborative and interactive learning environment for college students. Register today to receive support or sign-up to become a tutor to build your resume. *Free and pay-for-service options